Frequently asked questions
Life insurance is purchased to ensure that loved ones are financially taken care of during a very emotionally difficult time. At Lincoln, we strive to make the beneficiary journey as easy as possible. Shown below, are some frequently asked questions to enhance your understanding of the life claim process.
When you are ready to get started filing your claim, select Lincoln iClaim.
- The Claimant's Statement must be completed by the court-appointed Executor of the Estate.
- A copy of the Court Appointment must be included.
- The tax identification number (TIN) for the estate is required. (We cannot use the insured's Social Security Number.)
- If the estate is not probated, you may submit a small estate affidavit in lieu of the certified copy of the Letters Testamentary. (Check your state guidelines.)
- The Claimant's Statement and the Distinctive Payee Arrangement form (PDF) and the Certification Trustee Powers form (PDF) must be completed by the Trustee(s) or Co-Trustee (s) of the trust.
The following pages of the Trust are required if the Certification Trustee Powers form is not completed:
- Title page of the Trust
- Page naming the current trustee(s)
- Signature page
- Any amendments to the Trust
- The tax identification of the Trust (We cannot use the deceased's Social Security Number.)
- A copy of the Probated Will and Letters Testamentary appointing the executor (if the Trust is a Testamentary Trust)
Every state has different requirements, which vary depending on the amount of the benefits payable.
- The Claimant's Statement must be completed by the legal guardian/custodian of the minor's Estate.
- A certified copy of the court appointment for the minor's estate is required.
- The minor's personal Social Security Number must be provided.
- The Claimant's Statement must be completed by the Legal Guardian/Conservator of the beneficiary.
- A certified copy of the court-approved appointment must be submitted if there is a legal guardian/conservator.
- The beneficiary's Social Security Number and date of birth is required, not the personal representative's.
- Copies of all required documents are acceptable for claims 100k or less.
If the beneficiaries name has changed due to marriage, divorce, etc., include a copy of the legal document (marriage certificate, divorce decree, etc.) that documents the name change.
- A Distinctive Payee Arrangement form (PDF) is required.
- A separate Claimant's Statement must be completed by each child listed on the Distinctive Payee Arrangement Form.
- A copy of the Certified Death Certificate for that beneficiary is required.
- Upon notification that a beneficiary has become deceased, we will review the contract and determine to whom the benefits are payable.
- A copy of the corporate resolution (or its equivalent) must be submitted indicating the representative is authorized to sign on behalf of the corporation or charitable organization.
- The Claimant's Statement must be completed by a named representative in the corporate resolution.
- The tax identification number for the corporation or charitable organization is also required (cannot use the representative’s Social Security number).
- A copy of Death Certificate may be required for claims $100,000 and under.
- A certified copy of Death Certificate is required for claims over $100,000.
- For claims $100,000 or less, copies of ALL required documents are acceptable.
Our Claims Specialist would be happy to assist you. Please call us at 800-487-1485 and select option 4.
A copy of the Power of Attorney document must be submitted and cannot be more than three years old.
If the document is older than three years, a Power of Attorney Affidavit must be provided indicating the document hasn’t been revoked.
The beneficiary's Social Security Number must be provided; we cannot use the Attorney-in-Fact's.
A Report of Death of an American Citizen Abroad from the U.S. Embassy of the country where the death occurred is required.
A Certified Death Certificate for the insured is required. (If it is in a foreign language we require it to be translated into English.)
Please fill out the Foreign Death Questionnaire (PDF) .
The claim form needs to be signed and approved by the Plan Administrator.