Protect your paycheck from accidents and illnesses. Long-term disability insurance replaces a portion of your income while you recover. And your benefits continue for the policy’s benefit period or until you are no longer disabled, whichever comes first.
Coverage you need; support you deserve
- We help you get back to work, with a vocational rehabilitation program that includes personalized plans to help you recover
- If you’re only able to do part of your job or work part time, you can receive partial benefits. When you put your part-time earnings and a partial disability benefit together, you could receive up to 100% of your predisability earnings
- You don’t have to pay premiums during periods of approved disability under our policy
- We’ll pay a lump sum to your beneficiaries if you die while on disability
- If you’re unable to return to work, Lincoln’s Social Security legal experts guide employees through the complicated Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) process at no additional cost. On average, it takes three years for a disabled employee to be notified of their Social Security benefit award decision; Lincoln’s award rate at three years is 93.5%.
- Support services are included in every Lincoln long-term disability plan, with access to counselors and other assistance for personal, legal and financial issues
#4: Lincoln is the fourth largest group disability provider in the United States, as measured by new contracts sold.1
1 LIMRA, 2014 year-end premium sales results.
How long-term disability income insurance works
Two months ago, Mike was injured in a traffic accident that resulted in a covered disability. His plan has an elimination period of 90 days, which means he has to wait for 90 days after his injury. If he’s still disabled after that time, he’s eligible to begin collecting benefits.
The policy provides a maximum benefit of 60% of pay, up to $5,000 a month, and a maximum benefit duration to age 65. If Mike’s disability prevents him from working for 10 months, here are the benefits he could collect:
Sample benefit Statement
|Mike's monthly pay||
|Mike's maximum monthly||
|Mike's monthly benefit||
|Mike's approved benefit duration||
|Mike's total long-term disability benefit||
* Mike’s policy includes a 90-day elimination period, so his benefit duration is seven months.
Resources to help explore your options
How much disability income insurance do I need?
Long-term disability insurance
When recovery takes longer, see how LTD helps protect your income.
Did you know?
- Back and other musculoskeletal disorders cause more than 28.6% of all new disabilities among America’s wage earners.1
- More than 25% of today’s 20-year-olds will become disabled before they retire.2
- The average long-term disability claim duration is 34.6 months.3
1Council for Disability Awareness, 2014 Long-Term Disability Claims Review.
2U.S. Social Security Administration, Fact Sheet October 13, 2015.
3Gen Re, U.S. Group Disability Rate & Risk Management Survey 2012, based on claims closed in 2011.