Protect your paycheck from accidents and illnesses. Long-term disability insurance replaces a portion of your income while you recover. And your benefits continue for the policy’s benefit period or until you are no longer disabled, whichever comes first.
Coverage you need; support you deserve
- We help you get back to work, with a vocational rehabilitation program that includes personalized plans to help you recover
- If you’re only able to do part of your job or work part time, you can receive partial benefits. When you put your part-time earnings and a partial disability benefit together, you could receive up to 100% of your predisability earnings
- You don’t have to pay premiums during periods of approved disability under our policy
- We’ll pay a lump sum to your beneficiaries if you die while on disability
- If you’re unable to return to work, Lincoln’s Social Security legal experts guide employees through the complicated Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) process at no additional cost. On average, it takes three years for a disabled employee to be notified of their Social Security benefit award decision; Lincoln’s award rate at three years is 93.5%.
How long-term disability income insurance works
Two months ago, Mike was injured in a traffic accident that resulted in a covered disability. His plan has an elimination period of 90 days, which means he has to wait for 90 days after his injury. If he’s still disabled after that time, he’s eligible to begin collecting benefits.
The policy provides a maximum benefit of 60% of pay, up to $5,000 a month, and a maximum benefit duration to age 65. If Mike’s disability prevents him from working for 10 months, here are the benefits he could collect:
Sample benefit Statement
|Mike's monthly pay||
|Mike's maximum monthly||
|Mike's monthly benefit||
|Mike's approved benefit duration||
|Mike's total long-term disability benefit||
* Mike’s policy includes a 90-day elimination period, so his benefit duration is seven months.
Explore your options
How much disability income insurance do I need?
Did you know?
- Back and other musculoskeletal disorders cause 29% of all new disabilities among America’s wage earners.1
- More than 25% of today’s 20-year-olds will become disabled before they retire.2
- The average long-term disability claim duration is 31.2 months.3
1Integrated Benefits Institute, Health and Productivity Benchmarking 2016 (released November 2017), Long-Term Disability, All Employers. Condition-specific results.
2Social Security Administration, Disability and Death Probability Tables for Insured Workers Born in 1997, Table A.
3Council for Disability Awareness, The Average Duration of Long-Term Disability Is 31.2 Months. Are You Prepared? January 18, 2016