Find the right annuity for your clients’ needs.
Lincoln's solutions were recently recognized by Barron's!* Read on to see how our solutions may match your clients' needs.
Retirement planning seems to be all about income these days. It’s no wonder: In just five years, the U.S. will see its highest number of 65-year-olds ever.1 For those 4,518,758 potential retirees, life after a paycheck will no longer be theoretical—it will be a very real matter of paying their bills every month and rediscovering the lifestyle they can afford.
What’s the impact of adding protection?
As you work with these clients and their dawning sensitivity to risk, consider how protected growth and income from annuities can fit into your income planning conversations. Not only do more than 8 in 10 annuity owners say the solution lets them worry less about day-to-day expenses in retirement, but it also makes it easier to manage their monthly budget in retirement. The majority also believe these products allow them to spend more on the discretionary items that make their lifestyle fun.2
Matching the annuity to the need
With more options and innovations than ever in the annuity world, it’s a great time to be adding protection to your clients’ plans. And with a little insight, you can match the needs of your clients to the annuity that may be right for their needs.
Consider these three clients who are approaching or in retirement and the solutions that may help them meet their goals.
“I’m worried I won’t be able to retire on time.”
Clients five to ten years away from retirement may be excited to make the transition to their next stage—and they feel concerned with every market movement that their retirement plans will be at risk. Talk to them about ways to access market gains while reducing the risk of loss.
- To give clients a level of protection from market downturns, check out an indexed variable annuity.
- To keep clients off the sidelines when they need to keep growing their money, give them dependable growth potential without market exposure through a fixed or fixed indexed annuity.
- To help clients keep moving toward their retirement income goals with more certainty, give them a variable annuity with optional benefits for protected growth.
“I don’t know how much I’ll have each month in retirement.”
With longer lifespans, particularly for wealthier Americans, clients often worry about overspending in retirement. You can help these clients feel more certain about their retirement income and lifestyle by adding a source of protected monthly income.
- To give clients the reliability of lifetime income that may help protect their lifestyle with opportunities for income increases and income that gets taxed more efficiently, consider a variable annuity with optional benefits.
- To give more conservative clients the dependability of lifetime income, consider a fixed indexed annuity with optional benefits.
- To give clients the certainty of lifetime income with the potential to increase over time, consider an indexed variable annuity.
“I want to leave a legacy for my family.”
Clients may feel concerned that their income needs today are competing with the legacy they hope to leave in the future. An annuity with optional benefits can be an effective way to make sure their assets will be passed on to loved ones while still giving them the protected lifetime income they need today. And making a plan for the future helps enable your opportunity to work with generations to come.
- To give clients the reliability of lifetime income that can continue uninterrupted for a spouse or their heirs, consider a variable annuity with optional benefits.
- To give more conservative clients a more tax-efficient way to pass their wealth to the next generation, consider a fixed indexed annuity with optional benefits.
- To give clients the certainty of lifetime income now with options for passing on a legacy and making income more tax-efficient, consider an indexed variable annuity.
Partner with us
More options for protection means more ways to meet your clients’ needs and deepen your relationships with them. But the landscape can be overwhelming. Contact your Lincoln representative today at 877-533-0265 to learn more about matching your clients’ needs to our broad portfolio of annuity solutions or to see the full Barron’s Top 100 Annuities rankings. For additional tips and insights, make sure you follow us on LinkedIn and Twitter .
About the author
Brian Kroll is senior vice president and head of Annuity Solutions at Lincoln Financial Group, where he is responsible for leading Lincoln’s annuity product management, product pricing, financial management and business risk management functions. Kroll champions Lincoln’s comprehensive offering of competitive needs-based solutions that can help people manage retirement risk and maximize retirement income. He is responsible for the company’s fixed and variable annuity product capabilities, issuance and strategy, with a focus on growing the product lines through the development of new and efficient products and services by maintaining the client experience and profitability standards and practices.
Kroll has more than 25 years of experience directing all aspects of annuity product development and management. He is Summa Cum Laude graduate of Mankato State University and a Fellow of the Society of Actuaries. He has served on the Corporate Advisory Council of the International Association of Black Actuaries (IABA). He currently serves as an executive sponsor of Lincoln’s Latino Business Resource Group and on the Annuity Committee of the American Council of Life Insurers (ACLI).